So, do you remember those patriotic bunting aprons I made for the girls? Well, I made capes for the boys, too!
Each cape was made from two pieces of bunting from the Dollar Tree…
…and red, grosgrain ribbon. Yep. That’s it!
After opening the bunting packages, I pressed the bunting on a damp towel and with an iron on low heat.
Then, I measured the boys’ “wingspans” and overlapped the two pieces of bunting for each of them, accordingly. I stitched the bunting together, along the top edges, at the overlap points. I stitched in a rectangle, since a larger stitch area provides extra strength.
All that remained was to find a way to fasten the capes onto Elliott and Oliver! So, I threaded the ribbon through the metal grommets that were already in the bunting and tied them to the boys’ arms.
This was quick to make, but rather cumbersome when it came time to dress them. Next time they wear the capes, I will probably stitch the ribbon onto elastic loops that can just slide onto their arms.
And, voilà! Capes!
Here are my silly superheroes in their bunting capes!
In my next post, I will share how I made the patriotic hair bows and bow ties. Thank you for reading!